Monday, June 2, 2008

It's in the air

When warm weather arrives, our streets change. Summer in Kensington is not a place I love. It is the absolute hardest time to live here. It is loud, dirty, populated, and just filled with sin in all directions. Many nights we are awakened by fights outside, we hear gunshots, fireworks too. People hang out outdoors all hours of the day and night, making for this chaotic environment. The abuse that often occurs inside homes, just comes out on the streets, as parents don't even hesitate to verbally or even physically abuse their kids right there on the street. Sadness abounds.

Tonight I made a call to 911, not the first living here and certainly not the last I'm sure. This time for a loud crazy fight with TONS of people on Ann St behind our house, that quickly moved around the corner to right in front of our house. It's not the first time I have called, the difference tonight...the cops actually showed up within minutes. Praise God. Pray for our neighborhood, for our streets, for the children who are subject to this type of life. Pray for our family and the families we serve with to be protected from the violence. I also pray for my children's ears to be protected from the foul language that is so rampant outside. It is literally unavoidable, and it disgusts me that their innocent ears have to be exposed to such things. I know God is by us, He is guiding our path. I do not fear, but I certainly pray. Please pray with me.

2 comments:

  1. Carisa,
    My heart breaks for you tonight. As a mother, I understand how deeply we love and want to shield our children. As I sit and think now, I feel like I am reminded that when God called you and Frank to your "path" in life; He also called the boys. He is with each one of you in the way that only HE can be. Praise God for that. Our prayers are with your family. For protection, for comfort, for peace. What an awesome God we serve and what a mighty calling He's given to your precious family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I don't say this enough - but thank you for serving with us! I can't imagine life without you and Frank and your great boys! Thank you for giving up everything to come live with us! I thank God for you everyday!

    ReplyDelete