I suppose as Christians we are all always on call for God to work through us. I never really thought about this until Frank began leading the recovery ministry. It’s been years now, and we have grown so much during this process, while still having a long way to grow.
Being on call is not an aspect I ever thought about prior to becoming involved with the recovery ministry. When we first arrived in Philly, neither of us were on call in the way we are now. Working with addicts is a 24 hour job. Frank’s phone rings constantly, someone always seems to need him. We never know what to expect around each corner and just pray and trust that God won’t give us more than we can handle.
This past Sunday was a good example of what being on call looks like for us. I thought it would give you a good, realistic picture of what our ministry looks like in this aspect.
We left church as a family, rushing out the door because Frank told me something came up. We drive down the road to meet up with someone Frank has not even really worked with, but was struggling with a recovery related issue-so Frank was called. The kids and I sit in the car while Frank is out on Allegheny Ave counseling a man along with Bob {the man we are now working with who runs House of Adonai -you can read more about that here}.
About 15 minutes later, the man gets into our car. He comes home with us to spend the day. We feed him lunch, make him comfortable, wash his clothes and give him a place to rest. Frank and I work together at this, also while juggling the kids. Side note-this was Super bowl Sunday and not that we are huge football fans, but Frank was looking forward to just resting all day long on the couch!!
Meanwhile Frank talks on the phone to the woman involved with this man, counseling them both throughout the day. I overhear much of his counsel and I am amazed with the wisdom God gives him to share. He truly is so good at what he does, bringing peace to the most un-peaceful situations!
While all of this is going on, another recovery friend comes over to spend the day and evening with us. He is doing well and is one of the men we consider to be like family, we always enjoy having him around. He spends the day with us, until the game is over that night. Not something we expected, but totally fine!
The other man ends up going back home and currently is working with Frank to keep life straight. For now, things are looking up.
I share this not to complain at ALL. I hope it doesn’t sound that way! Those who know me from my past would probably think I am totally stressed out by all of this. BUT I can assure you - God has done a great work in me. Me…the selfish, non-hospitable, introvert, hermit of a woman is now able to open her home on a moment’s notice. God really is amazing!
Being on call is hard and draining and often interrupts our normal plans. I tell myself during it all that my life is God’s plan-not mine. He can change my plan whenever He wants. My life is His, after all. I don’t always remember this and sometimes let my sinful nature get the best of me. Mostly, I am fine. God sustains me through the on call moments. I am truly grateful to be married to a man who is used by God in this way.
Please pray for Frank-his life is often filled with these types of “on call” moments and honestly many of them don’t even involve me. He does his best to balance it all, but when on call moments take over the day, he struggles. I can often see it in his eyes even as he is doing his best to just smile through it all.
Thanks for following along with our journey, God’s journey!
Wow, that must be crazy! My husband works very long hours in the summer, but he's not 'on call' in this same way - what a blessing your husband is to the people he works with - and isn't it amazing how God changes us and allows us to be more flexible? Just as we need to be to support our husbands in the ministries He gives them!
ReplyDelete